GUTS is a friendly pumpkin carving competition, attracting the finest creative talent in the Reno-Tahoe area. The primary goal of this event is to unify the creative community in support of an amazing cause.
We invite you to join us as Reno joins the GUTS team!
The competition is open to local and regional creative professionals that want to test their pumpkin carving skills, and more importantly, raise money for charity. We raise money through carver's registration fees, sales of the creatively carved pumpkins, food, drink and merchandise sold at the event. And, for those who can't make it or would like to do a little extra, we invite anyone, anywhere, to contribute making a wish come true by donating here.
SCHEDULE (subject to change)
Saturday, October 21st, 2017
CARVER SET UP
Carvers arrive at the Eddy and set up their carving stations.
Guests & spectators are welcome to arrive.
READY, SET, CARVE!
Carving begins! 90 minutes of furious pumpkin carving action ensues.
Concessions and Food Trucks will be available.
Guests and Carvers can begin casting their "People's Choice" votes at any time.
Guests are able to participate in "Buy Now" for purchasing pumpkins.
CARVING ENDS AND JUDGING BEGINS
Carving ends. Carvers prep their stations for final judging and remaining "Buy Now" purchases.
Judges will be making their rounds, scoring each entry.
"Peoples' Choice" voting continues.
JUDGING AND "PEOPLE'S CHOICE" VOTING ENDS
"Buy Now" purchasing of pumpkins continue.
All votes for the "People's Choice" must be cast.
We'll announce Team, Individual, and People's Choice winners and award trophies and Raffle Prizes on the Main Stage.
Winning Pumpkins removed and loaded into cars.
Stay at the Eddy and hang with us! 20% off for all AIGA members and contestants!
All proceeds go to Make-A-Wish® Northeastern California and Northern Nevada.
• The GUTS competition is open to local and regional creative professionals. We welcome competitors from all aspects from the creative profession — designers, developers, art directors, artists, architects, photographers, and more are all welcome! If you're not sure if you're a fit for GUTS, feel free to ask us!
• Each participant or team must provide their own pumpkin(s) and carving tools.
• Pumpkins should be gutted before carving begins to save time and reduce mess on-site.
• Other than planning, no other prep work may be done on your pumpkin (drawing, scoring, pre-cutting parts, etc.).
• Carving time is 90 minutes.
• There has to be at least 1 pumpkin per entrant (individual or team member).
• You may incorporate multiple pumpkins, gourds, and similar materials as accessories or in support of your entry.
• Props may be used but cannot comprise the majority of your design. Keep in mind this is a pumpkin carving contest and your carving skills are what will be evaluated most heavily by the judges.
• Power tools are acceptable but must have their own power source (no power provided).
• Painting can be part of your design, but it must also be carved.
• Lighting your pumpkin is up to you (no power provided).
• Your final creation will need to be able to be moved from your carving table to the buyer's car, if purchased during the "Buy Now". If you are creating a team entry that is large, it will need to be structurally sound enough - or able to be separated to be moved.
• Costumes are welcome and decorating your prep area is accepted with limits on the staging area so that you do not disturb adjacent carvers. Keep in mind, the only thing you will be scored on is your pumpkin carving. If there are any questions about the rules that are not answered here, please contact us.
If you join as an individual carver you will be competing against others within the individual category only. Your entry may incorporate a single pumpkin or multiple pumpkins.
Each team is made up of 2-3 participants. The entire team works together on a single entry.