These days, more and more print designers are branching out into web design to broaden their professional horizons. But, it's never easy just to wade into the deep end of the web pool without some footing first. In this workshop we'll cover some of the challenges you'll encounter in your transition from print to web.
We’ll start with a brief intro to give you an overview of current website best practices and the technologies we’re using. You’ll leave with an understanding of how web pages are built, and how it affects your design for CSS, HTML5, SVG, mobile-first, web image formats, and more.
Next, we'll cover the 5 things you need to know about designing for the web, including:
- Hosted Fonts (designing and building with hosted fonts)
- Best methods for designing for different device sizes (including HiDPI [retina] devices)
- Designing to a grid (why and best practices in Photoshop and Illustrator)
- How to export/save optimized content for the web — how to get optimized assets out of Adobe Photoshop CC & Adobe Illustrator CC (Extract)
- Working with SVG and icon fonts
To wrap things up, we'll discuss a few ways to design interactivity like slideshows, animations, etc.